Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I'm Selling Toilets Door to Door

In life, have you ever felt like you're selling toilets door to door?  The feeling that no matter how hard or diligently you work, the odds are already stacked against you even before you knock on the door?

How would you even sell toilets door to door anyways?  "You never know what to expect from our competitors' toilet.  Let's face it, it's a crap shoot if you go with them." (Several puns, all of which were intended)

"The battle of the toilet seat between you and the Mrs. is over when you install the UrinalMaster 3000 in your home"
This is the feeling I get every time I call a school district along my tour route to propose a partnership to inspire their students.  The hassle, rejection and run-around I get from the majority of the people within our educational system is absurd.  I might as well be selling toilets to them.  Now in no way am I suggesting that selling toilets is dishonest or illegitimate work in anyway.  But the more I think about where our educational system is going, I couldn't think of anything more fitting.

"My name is Teddy Herrera and I am cycling 22,000-mil..."

"We're not interested."

"What are you not interested in?"

"Whatever you're selling."

"Give me 5 minutes to share my story with you.  Through my struggle and sacrifice, you will realize that I am not selling, but giving; giving your students the opportunity and encouragement to succeed against all odds, realize their full potential, and actively pursue their dreams while leading a healthy and active lifestyle." (It doesn't sound as cheesy in real life)

(Click.. dial tone)

This was a real conversation.  I'm certain that I was talking to myself after I asked for 5 minutes of her time.  After I sent an email apologizing about my poor cell phone service (HA!) while cycling around the Nation, she told me there is not a budget for our assembly program to fight childhood obesity.  I responded that I would not let that prevent me from reaching her students with my powerful message, and donate my services to her free of charge.  I didn't receive a response from her.  A few days later I sent a follow-up email that was immediately returned to me as undeliverable.  Apparently, I had been blacklisted from sending emails to anyone within the district.  She was the Director of Student Health and Wellness.  I wasn't given the time of day, as if I was knocking on her front door at 6pm, cheesy smile and toilet in hand.

Give people a chance to tell their story.  How many people do you brush aside throughout your everyday life?  I have been drowning in the bureaucracy of our educational system, swirling around the bowl for the past two years.  Looking back on my efforts, it scares me to think about all of the students who didn't have the opportunity to hear my story, because an educational bureaucrat did not take 5 minutes out of her day to listen.

Imagine all of the amazing stories that you didn't have the opportunity to hear because you were too busy to stop and listen.  Everyone deserves a chance.  And the next time someone knocks on your door with there arm wrapped around a toilet, don't give them any crap.

2 comments:

  1. It's sad to hear but I completely understand your frustration. I was marketing to a group I believed would be receptive, considerate and the forum would be perfect- Churches! I would contact them ask if they had a contact for the seniors in their Church as I was offering a free educational class to those eligible for Medicare and as a licensed insurance agent I could be of assistance. I assured them nothing would be sold it was the way we were giving back to our community. Well, I was told by secretary's, pastors etc how they were not interested. REALLY? Had they asked the seniors in their congregations? Had they even listened? NO! So, I changed it up, I changed who I was marketing to, and. You know what it has been well received. So, don't get discouraged! I am now Working with the city leaders and CSD to offer this help or classes free t the community! It's a way our city can help provide assistance for the aging population in our very own community! So, don't give up but rethink your audience! Private schools, CSD's etc may be a group who would better embrace your program! Directors of hospitals, dietitians etc. They may all help you get your foot in the door! I know you resourceful and are not about to give up, so I am encouraging you to keep pedaling and educating and inspiring our youth! Remember, every clean flush fills the bowl with fresh water for a new start! So, may the crappy attitudes of the toilet bowl keepers be flushed for good and may the doors of assemblies be opened for all to see, Teddy, the guy who pedals across America because he cares about others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME comment! Thank you so much Friedman Family! And great job with pushing forward and continually making a difference within our community!! Much love and respect and can't wait to see you all!

    ReplyDelete