Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Need Help!!

On my bike- tent, sleeping bag and a tool box

"I need help"- The three most powerful words we never use.  Call it pride, humility or whatever you want to call it.  I call it stupidity.  And it took me a very long time to get over my pride to realize this.  If you are in need of something, ASK!

I started my first tour with $36, a tent and a sleeping bag.  How did I make it?  I asked for help.  I would take a tupperware into restaurants and ask them if they could give me leftover food at the end of the night.  Everyday, if I asked 10 restaurants, one always said yes.  On the days I badly needed a shower and a warm bed, I would ask 10 hotels for a sponsored night's stay.  After asking 10 hotels, I would always find one that was willing to help me out.

When you initially read the title of this blog, what emotions did you feel?  Did you jump back in disgust because I apparently needed help?  Or did you feel compelled to read further to determine whether you could assist me in any way?

One of the Tupperware containers I used to pack leftover food
People want to help YOU, too!  Whenever you're struggling throughout your day today, ask for help.  If you have a goal you want to achieve, no matter how small or big, ask people to help you accomplish it.  After asking 10 people for help, you will find one person that is willing and able to assist you succeed.

I really do need your help!  I need you to forward this blog to all of your family and friends to help spread my message to future communities.  I am currently in Savannah, GA and will be riding up the east coast to Boston, then back across the northern states to Seattle.  If you know any teachers, principals, superintendents or a friend who has a kid attending a local school at any of the cities on my nationwide route, I want to inspire their youth to lead active and healthy lifestyles!  Send me an email at teddy@aa4co.com and I will email you an informative, easy to forward, eFlyer thats grants insight into the motivation we bring to each school we visit.  If you forward it to 10 friends and family members, you will help me secure one school to speak at.
Inspiring children to get up, get out and actively chase their dreams!
I truly appreciate your continual support!  And if you ever need anything from me, please ask!  Follow my 22,000-mile bicycle tour to fight childhood obesity on Facebook and Twitter!  For more information about our K-12 assembly program, please visit our website here.  Much love and respect... and don't forget to encourage one another!


~Mr. Teddy

3 comments:

  1. "I need help" - These are important words and we try to help many of our counselling clients understand this.

    Our counselling firm strongly believes in your mission and is willing to help spread your experience / post. Keep up the good work, and remember those 3 small words!

    Your friends at Carpe Diem Live Counselling

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great message! One of the things we learned cycling from Alaska to Argentina was that it never hurt to ask for help. People are more than willing to step up to the plate and help if they know there is a need. Good on ya for making it happen!

    Nancy Sathre-Vogel
    familyonbikes.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5 years ago I found you Teddy. Not a day goes by that I don't think about you and thank you for stopping and joining us for our first Rare Disease day event. As a single mom to a son that is one of less than 50 in the world rare genetic disorder I found it hard to ask for help. Sometimes I still find it difficult. But it is so very important. Thank you for helping us raise awareness!!
    www.facebook.com/POMCmomma

    ReplyDelete