Monday, February 6, 2012

Why I'm quitting Facebook

Aren't you tired of the time that is consumed on Facebook? I am.  Facebook was the only way I was able to get the word out about my cause at first.  I departed June 5, 2010 on my first tour with $36 and 168 some odd Facebook friends.  I did not have a website and was not media savvy.  I relied on finding like-minded individuals and persuading them to join my cause.  And it was tough.  Somehow I was able to connect with unbelievable supporters- off the top of my head, Ted Lipkin, Kashia Cave, Joshua Tipton, Scott Clifford, and Michelle Nieves, along with countless others, all were FB acquaintances that went above and beyond, ensuring that my first tour was a success.

Since I departed on my second tour, I have noticed a shift in the way people use Facebook.  It seems that nowadays they use it as a tabloid, to stay up to date with people's lives and taking it at purely face value.  I for one have not changed my approach of using Facebook, which is to connect and get to know the people I am "friends" with.  For instance, every single person that comments on my statuses or wall, I respond back and inquire about their point of view on no subject in particular.  At the very least, I would display my appreciation for taking the time to visit my page.  Because for me, every single status represented a person, a soul, that continually needs encouragement to carry on through this cold, brutal world.

EVERYONE NEEDS ENCOURAGEMENT!  And if you have absolutely nothing in this world- not a house, a car, any money, a family- you have the most valuable currency in this world, encouragement.  It doesn't cost a single dime to encourage someone, yet it is the scarcest resource in our world.  And yes, even I need encouragement.  When I pour my heart out into the timeline of Facebook, and nobody takes the time to stop by to comment or like it, I feel like I am not appreciated; not important enough to take a minute of your day.  And I am confident that everyone on Facebook feels the same.  But it's not even about my feelings.  I am a tough guy, and I am able to mentally and spiritually overcome any challenge or hardship thrown my way.  It was the fact that only a few people shared my journey with their friends and contacts on Facebook, giving me the opportunity to inspire and encourage their youth in future communities.

I am not longer using Facebook for the simple fact that I have not been able to reach any schools through Facebook, unlike my first tour.  My main priority is acquiring as many opportunities to share my story with the youth of America as possible.  Originally, I was able to connect and build relationships with people I have yet to meet in person on Facebook.  Facebook was not tainted on my first tour, not as competitive for the attention of passer-bys much like tabloids in the checkout aisle of your super market.

Five days ago, I downloaded the Socialcam app for my iPhone (also available on Android).  Within 2 hours, I had received a shoutout from the most influential person on Socialcam, The Roxie.  Within 10 minutes after that, I had received a shoutout from the most influential people of her 40,000+ followers, displaying their limitless support, love, services and contacts.  Today, I have 3,000+ followers, countless offers for placing to stay, millions of words of encouragement- but most importantly, 5 booked school assemblies.  How I long for the time we could meet people on Facebook and offer them the love and understanding every person deserves.

Allow me to clarify.  I am not deactivating my Facebook account.  There are hundreds of people I love, some of whom I have only met once, that will always be there for ANYONE in their Facebook friend list.  I will use Socialcam exclusively to grant insight into my spirit and soul, but continue to push material through my Facebook and Twitter accounts.  I will continue to post interviews, articles, news segments onto Facebook, using it as a news feed (please share with your friends).  But I will not be able to comment or respond to every post or comment.  I hope you are able to join me on Socialcam.  You will very quickly understand my change of heart the minute you sign up.

I have much love and respect for everyone in this world, especially those you have shared my journey with me.  And especially those who have been there since the beginning, giving me the tools and encouragement to believe in the idea that one person could change the world.  My family (My mom, brother, my grandma, all my uncles and aunts, cousins) my best friend Chad Adams, Ray Porter, Kinetic Cycles and Bruce Kaiser, Lou and Lesley Corpuz, The Zimmerle Family and so many more families and friends.  I love you.  I truly love you.  And I love you reading this blog right now.  Encourage everyone you meet and come in contact with tomorrow.  Once you been doing so, you will begin to receive the love and encouragement that you deserve so much.

Please show your encouragement by leaving a comment and sharing with your family and friends.

4 comments:

  1. Teddy, you know what you have to do and I will respect that. Best of luck as you continue on your journey and I do hope that in accessing new forms of social media, you will be able to gain even more support for this important cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teddy! I am going to check out the social cam thing now and I have an Ipad i got for Christmas. My phone is a blackberry and I know bb users can't do this social cam thing- at least I don't think so, anyway, always here for you whatever format you use and I will always share your cause with others! Changing lives one pedal at a time! love and hugs from The Friedman Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm saving this post...to help inspire me. Thanks (again) for the important reminder to keep connections authentic. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teddy, I am sad about your decision but support you100%! You are on a mission and have been a success! Venturing out to other sources is a good thing. I am so proud of you and will still be a follower of course! I have never left ya! Take care and go get em!!

    ReplyDelete