Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I'm No Longer Fighting Childhood Obesity

You read it right!  I am no longer fighting childhood obesity.  Well, maybe I should explain- I am redefining the term 'childhood obesity'.  For the past two years I have seen countless programs, organizations and initiatives to fight childhood obesity and I can not bite my tongue any longer.  Our current system will NOT work in ending childhood obesity.  In fact, it is causing multiple issues within our youth that are far more devastating than the physical complications and affects of childhood obesity.

The weight of a child means nothing to me.  The weight I am most concerned with is the negativity, stereotypes and limitations that weigh down on our youth, preventing our youth from realizing their full-potential.  The reason our current approach is not working is because it is attacking childhood obesity from the outside in.  It seems to me the existing programs are forcing our children on diet and exercise routines and regiments, with the primary goal of getting them skinny.  And once kids are skinny, their job is done.  I am not satisfied with a kid simply being skinny.

I hear it all the time...

Defensive parent- "Wow, you are fighting for a great cause.  But my kid is as skinny as a pole, you don't need to talk to him."

My response- "That's great!  But does he know he can change the world?"

Our children, of all sizes, need encouragement; not a diet and exercise program.  All we can do as parents is educate our children about the affects of the choices they make throughout their day, and provide them with the resources they need for a healthy lifestyle.  When our children make the decision to lead healthy and active lifestyles, they will already have the tools necessary to fulfill their decision.  At the point you made the conscious decision to lead a healthier lifestyle, did you do so because you were forced to?  Or because you made a personal commitment and decision, within, to change the way you lead your life?  In order to evoke change, one must be self-motivated.  What makes our children any different?

Therefore, I am no longer fighting childhood obesity in the aesthetic, superficial approach we have implemented.  Damaging emotional problems are bound to follow.  Instead, I will opt to fight childhood obesity from the inside out encouraging our youth to get up, get out, and actively chase their dreams.  I strive to make our youth aware of the influence they possess as an individual within this world.  Once a child realizes they can change the world, they can easily change the way they lead their lives.  But that choice is up to them, not us.

2 comments: