Thursday, March 15, 2012

Why Doesn't Your Child Count?

The crisp wind hit my skin as I walked down the streets of Atlanta, GA with both hands in my pocket and chin tucked down on my chest.  After a whirlwind week filled with 13 assemblies in 3 different states, I found myself stumbling through the crowded doorway of Thumbs Up Diner in the heart of Decatur.  I figured I would beat the breakfast crowd by arriving at 11am, only to fight tooth and nail for the next available table with the eager and impatient lunch crowd.

I squeeze and shuffle my way to the hostess as politely as possible.

"Just one please", I said over a tall man pinned against the hostess stand by numerous people waiting for their named to be called.

"It's going to be a 1-hour wait, but you are more than welcome to find an open seat at the bar", she hurriedly directed my attention to an open seat at the 50's style diner bar.

I found a clear path towards the bar and went for it.  With no time to spare, I made it to the lone available stool at the bar. On my right was an older gentleman with a long white pony tail and glasses.  To my left a young attractive girl with a warm, gray hat pulled down over her eyes.

After several minutes of indecision, I finally ordered the Yukon Omelette (Salmon, Spinach and Cream Cheese).  The guy behind the bar was the very definition of cool- dreads, beanie and deep southern accent that held on the the last syllable of every word.  Immediately after he took my menu from me, I noticed the girl to my left leaned over to me with the look of mischievous charm in her eyes.  I slightly turned my head anticipating the start of endearing banter.

"Don't vote for Obama", she said as she pointed to the TV above the bar before returning to her straight posture in the stool.  A look of confusion quickly slapped me in the face along with the unspoken expressions of WTF and really??

"Excuse me??" I replied as I let out a loud chuckle as I watched Obama deliver a speech above the bar.  "Do you want to talk about money or religion next?" I ask rhetorically.  I resumed eye contact as she playfully tilted her head to see past the small bill of her hat.

Just then, completely irrelevant to the girl's statement, one of my favorite quotes entered my mind- "You learn most about yourself, others and humanity when you are still".  When ever I am in situations that seem meaningless or insignificant, I pause and ask myself, "what can I learn right now?"  And every time I stop to absorb my surroundings, I notice and gain insight to something I was blind to seconds before.

As soon as I opened my awareness to my surroundings, I saw a family of three walk into door.  Husband and wife with toddler in hand who was clumsily wobbling to avoid the fidgety knees of the 'wait-listed'.

They arrived to the hostess stand after a 10-minute 'excuse me' parade and stated with purpose, "There will be three of us, today".

"You must have your entire party here to make a reservation", the hostess stated with clipboard in hand.

"We are", the husband reassured her.

"Is your third waiting outside", the hostess asked with suspicion.

"No, he's right here", he countered as he pointed down to his son.

I was blown away.  I suddenly recalled all of the times I have made a reservation with one of my many cousins in hand.  'A table for 4 and one toddler' is how the reservation would sound, as if they were half a person.  Then I began to think about all of the other ways I have been subconsciously downplaying and suffocating the influence of the kids in my life.

Our kids count.  They also have a voice.  Such an influential voice, in fact, that they can evoke change no matter how young.  Next time you're in a seemingly insignificant, ask yourself, "what can I learn right now?"  You are meant to learn something from everyone and everything you encounter, even from our children.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent point, Mr. Teddy! And that stupid "don't vote" lady would have riled me up trying to tell me how to vote, but that's because I hate politics and the people that push them onto me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly appreciate you stopping by, Margaret! Big hugs!! Much love and respect!

    ReplyDelete